From the sensory overload of crowded markets and beautiful deserts deep in the mountains to charming fishing villages and pastel-blue cities, Morocco is surprising travelers from all over the world. However, going to a North African country without preparation is a sure way to find yourself disappointed. To help you prepare, we've put together a list of eight mistakes to avoid on your next vacation in Morocco.
1. Don't explore Morocco beyond Marrakech
2. Expect to cover all of Morocco's famous destinations in one trip
Unless you are willing to make many flights (or plan a visit for several weeks or more), it may not be possible to visit all the popular places in Morocco during a visit. The journey between Marrakech and Tangier alone would take more than six hours and would include a car and a night train.
Even trying, it would mean selling yourself short at the places you decide to see. The best method to experience Morocco is to pick a region and go beyond the city limits of that region (think Marrakech and the Atlantic coast or Tangier and Chefchaouen).
3. Being too paranoid to be scammed in Morocco
4. Taking photos without permission in Morocco
5. Think about visiting the mosques of Morocco
6. Being too polite to bargain properly in Morocco
7. Ignoring public transport in Morocco
8. Assuming that it is legal to smoke Hash (Kif) in Morocco.